When the unexpected happens, our communities must unite.
About the Emergency Response Fund.
We have established an Emergency Response Fund that will channel local assistance to proactively respond to impacts of the COVID-19 virus and other public, local crises that may arise as situations evolve. With people's health at risk and our day-to-day activities changing rapidly, there are hardships ahead for so many of our neighbors who do not have access to childcare, health insurance, and for those who may be living paycheck-to-paycheck.
Here are five things you can do to help fight the struggles of COVID-19:
1. Donate to the Souris Valley United Way Emergency Response Fund. Your gift supports community resources that serve struggling in the Souris River area. Workers are losing wages and tips due to event cancellations and business closures. As food pantries and other community resources are inundated, donations to the Emergency Response Fund help ensure these vital services are available to individuals in need.
2. Direct people to 211. Souris Valley United Way is working on the front lines of the pandemic. Expert 211 specialists provide real-time information on social services and other resources to those in need. If you know someone who is struggling or just looking for a source of reliable information, tell them to dial 211.
3. Spare something for local food pantries. As stores run out of bulk food and toilet paper, food pantries are struggling to fill their shelves, even as more people are coming in for help. Consider donating what you can spare, especially non-perishable food and toiletry items.
4. Call your friends and family. Loneliness is as damaging as smoking 15 cigarettes a day. Even during isolation, modern technology allows us to stay connected. Checking in on friends and family is more than polite right now, it's essential. And don't forget elderly neighbors and others living alone.
5. Take care of your mental health. Keep busy with hobbies, try out arts and crafts, pick up an old musical instrument, organize family game nights, and step outside for fresh air and exercise. You can't take care of others unless you take care of yourself.
Donations of $10 or more will be matched up to $20,000 by a special fund of Souris Valley United Way's, to help keep food on the table and families in their homes during this time of uncertainty. Click the "Donate Now" link above to make a donation online via credit/debit card or Apple Pay or mail a check to 1941 4th St SW Minot, ND 58701 with a memo of "Emergency Response Fund".
Thanks to the following corporate partners, additional match funds in the respective amount will be available on top of the $20,000 by SVUW:
First International Bank & Trust - $1,000
501(c)(3) nonprofit organizations are eligible to apply for grants from Souris Valley United Way Emergency Response Fund. If your agency has been impacted either directly or indirectly and are struggling, please click the "Nonprofits" link above for access to the grant request form. Complete this form and return it via email to Kathy@svunitedway.com or by mailing it to 1941 4th St SW Minot, ND 58701.
Individuals seeking information about referral to available community programs and other resources are encouraged to call 2-1-1. Specialists will assist you as best they can with local information.